Tuesday 26 April 2016

A Godly Brew, 'Monk's Blend',

Let us continue with a theme; while I realise I have still yet to review teas from January and February, I fell that, for once, I should concentrate on one thing rather than jumping around. Fear not, we will get to Frozen Summit some day (I have drank it, I have my notes, I just... Haven't written it all up). Honestly, I feel that I am gaining tea quicker than I have chance to write about them (even at once a week London Tea Club alone takes nearly the whole month and, the way things have been going recently with many a tea gifted unto me, that still leaves me with a surplus to review).


Today I'd like to introduce you to the second tea from London Tea Club's March delivery. The light and humble taste of Monk's Blend. It's a Ceylon base, with vanilla oil, grenadine and calendula petals. Such a description sounds more like a cocktail than a tea blend. I'm not sure if it technically constitutes as a Ceylon tea though; a Ceylon tea can have no less than 100% of its leaves grown and produced in Sri Lanka. Now, given that all of the actual tea is from Sri Lanka, does that mean it is a flavoured or blended Ceylon tea? Or does the addition of any other ingredient (even when it is not more tea) make it no longer Ceylon? I'm afraid I don't actually have the answer to that, but still, fun fact about it being all or nothing, right? It's a bit like 'sparkling wines', I guess; you know, how it isn't Champagne unless the grapes are grown in the Champagne region.

I actually did a little bit of research into Ceylon tea before writing this post with the intention of adding the odd entertaining anecdote, but realised that the history of Ceylon tea is not only lengthy but genuinely fascinating. The more I learn about tea the more I realise just how much this humble plant has shaped human culture. As a result, I've decided to not discuss it here, but (tea)leave it until another date, another post and dedicate it to the history of Ceylon. Honestly, it deserves it and stops this post being three times as long as it needs to be.

I decided to brew the Monk's Blend in my then new (and still newest!) teapot, my black and white yokode kyusu. 'Kyusu' is simply Japanese for 'teapot', but what really sets this teapot out from my (many) other Japanese tea ware is the 'yokode' bit, or, in English, 'side hand(le)'. Rather than having a handle that goes over the top (like most of my Japanese teapots) or a handle at the back (like most of my Western style teapots; you know, the 'classic teapot' shape), it quite literally has a handle at the side. It look a little like an earthenware saucepan with a spout. When I first bought it I thought that the 'yokode' would make pouring a little awkward and unnatural, but thought 'what the hell' and bought it anyway because it has a side handle. Honestly? I am so glad I gave in to that (somewhat expensive) whim. I get such a sense of pleasure pouring from this teapot; the movement feels far more fluid and controlled than from a teapot with an overhead or back handle. I was astounded; I never thought that pouring tea felt wrong but somehow using a yokode kyusu just feels right. It is very peculiar, but I took it over to my parents' place after I bought it and my father agreed that it was the most satisfying and instinctive ways of pouring tea.

It's bizarre. When I started this tea journey I never realised just how vastly different tea paraphernalia could be. If you ever get the chance to try out a yokode kyusu jump at it, although make sure you find one that matches your handedness (that's right! Left and right handed teapots!). That said, my left handed mother had no issues using my right handed yokode kyusu. I am in love with how pouring from the teapot feels.

As this teapot did not have any matching cups I decided to buy myself a new bowl; it's larger than most of my Japanese tea bowls and features a delightful design of swimming koi on the inside, while to outside is a plain white. It means that the koi end up swimming in the tea and allows the pattern to be seen while you drink. I thought it was a very elegant and I approved of the size. I had yet to use this bowl when I brewed Monk's Blend and, as I was using the yokode kyusu I had purchased alongside, it seemed fitting to drink my new tea from this bowl (even if it meant I was mixing tea cultures with Ceylon tea and Japanese paraphernalia).

I am getting distracted, such is my excitement for teapots and histeaory.

Monk's Blend is quite a pretty tea to look at; dark leaves flecked with lemon colour. Once brewed it is is a vibrant amber. The flavour is light, delicate and floral. As it rolls across the tongue, hints of citrus notes become apparent. There is an unmistakable fruitiness to the liquor, no doubt the result of the added grenadine. The flavours of Monk's Blend are subtle and complex; at first there is the floral, fruity bouquet, followed by a smooth and lingering after taste that is distinctly Ceylon. Overall, a very pleasant and satisfying tea.

London Tea Club say that 'we're not sure which monk invented this blend but we agree that it's heavenly' and I am wont to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment